Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Health in the News: Stress, Depression and Suicide

Title: Dentists Facing Depression And Suicide
Author: Peter Hill
Source: online source
Date: 30 Jan 2009
URL: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/137209.php

Summarize
This article is about many dentists in Canada are at risk of suffering from dysthimia. They got many problems such as loss of appetite, low levels of energy, excessive anger social withdrawal, suicidal thoughts and so on. When they were young they were already sensitized to this perticularity of the profession. However, it is a problem that it affects health. The Université de Montréal estabilished a prevention program to help future dentists to cope with and avoide stress before it becomes serious and leads them to be depressed. Today, youngsters speak about it openly.  It is a good trend to all of us.

Big Meaning
The big meanig of this article is that although many people get stressed out easily, they don't know how to cope with. And stress cause many bad things such as people get angry very easily, they can't concentrate on their works and they aovid to contact with outside of the world. It is a vicious circle. And the bad things include 'suicidal thoughts' which is the most awful thing and at the same time, the most important thing that we need to think about seriously. And very few people of them are followed by a doctor and received treatments. In the other words, many people are still suffering with stresses and are not treated. The prevention program to help the future dentist to cope stress must be the good solution to prove the problem.

Personal meaning
I thought that dentist is an easy profession to have, therefore I was so surprised when I found this article. At the last part of the article it said that recentry, many yougsters speak more openly about it. I think it is true, but there are still people who have difficulty to express themselves and can't say what they want to do, I guess. Personally, I sometimes get depressed and feel like I don't want to do anything or I can't do anything correctly. And when it becomes deeper and more serious, I get stressed out. It is mostly caused by too many works from school or difficult relationship  with my friends. After I read this article, I thought that I really need to know how to cope with and relief stress. Otherwise, I might have many horrible effects by that.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting article Mana. My brother in law is a dentist and it is indeed very stressful. 15/15

    ReplyDelete